Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 2 packs thawed PanaPesca Calamari Rings & Tentacles
- Thaw in refrigerator overnight or in tap water for about an hour before cooking
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato purée or paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- Zest of half a lemon
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- In a pan large enough to boil the tomatoes, bring water to a boil and blanch the tomatoes until the skin starts to burst and peel, roughly 2 minutes. Drain and set aside until cool enough to touch. Peel the skin and discard. Chop the tomatoes and keep the seeds and juice.
- In a cast iron skillet or oven ready dish, drizzle the pan with olive oil and cook the onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the red pepper flakes, garlic and parsley and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, tomato purée and fennel seeds and bring to a simmer.
- Add the calamari, cover and cook in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, removing from the oven after 30 minutes to add the olives and to take the cover off. Cook in the oven for the remaining 15 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the lemon zest and parsley.
- Serve with your favorite dipping bread.
Leave a comment