Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 pack thawed PanaPesca Calamari Rings & Tentacles or Tubes & Tentacles
- Thaw in refrigerator overnight or in tap water for about an hour before cooking
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 qt oil for frying
- If using tubes & tentacles, cut the tubes into rings.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan to 370°F.
- Mix the corn starch, flour, salt and pepper together.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites to a froth.
- Coat half of the calamari in the egg white.
- Remove from the egg whites allowing as much of the egg white to drain as possible, then add to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Remove from the dry mixture, put into a colander or strainer allowing the flour to remain in the dry mix bowl.
- Add the coated calamari to the hot oil and fry for about 1 minute, stirring a few times as they cook.
- Remove from the hot oil to a strainer or towel to remove as much oil as possible.
- Repeat the process for the second half of the calamari.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, ie marinara, ranch, spicy mayo, sweet chili, etc.